Monday, August 1, 2011

Happy Anniversary Baby, Got You On My Miii-iiind

So guess what?! Today....or technically yesterday was mine and Charlie's one year anniversary. What the heck? We've been married a whole year?! For all of those rooting against us...I say poop on you. Bahahaha! Charlie got me this funtastic cake decorating kit so I can make him cupcakes on his birthday. I didn't get him anything because his birthday present is so freaking expensive and amazing, I couldn't afford to. It doesn't matter though because he is going to pee on himself when he gets his present. I'm the best wife ever!

Anyway, I decided to be crafty today and make a headboard. Why you ask? Well, Charlie and I got this awesome new furniture for our new apartment bedroom. We still needed a bed frame though. I've searched all over but just can't find one in our price range. So... I decided to make a headboard and put the new mattress set on a metal frame. Charlie doesn't like footboards anyway because his feet hang off the bed. So cheapo me decided to make this fabric headboard in our living room floor a few minutes ago. It turned out pretty cool if you ask me.... In case you wanted to know how I made it, here's what you'll need:
  • Scissors                                      
  • Cardboard or Foamboard
  • Quilt Batting
  • Sewing Kit
  • Buttons
  • Fabric of Your Choice
  • Staple Gun
  • Staples
  • Tape Measure
To begin, you simply cut out a piece of cardboard in the dimensions that fit your bed. For a queen size bed, I cut a 24 x 64 in. piece of cardboard. Then, you are going to want to cut your fabric and batting to be 28 x 68 in. so it will be an extra two inches longer on each side of the cardboard. (Adding batting foam will make the headboard thicker and the buttons pull deeper if you like that look) Go ahead and mark where you want the buttons to go on the back of the cardboard.

Lay the cardboard on top of the batting and fabric with the batting as the middle layer. Then pull the fabric and batting over the back side of the cardboard and staple the fabric down to the cardboard every inch or so. Make sure you have the fabric lined up correctly with the cardboard. Keep stapling until all of the fabric has been staple down to the back of the cardboard. Lastly take a needle and thread and sew your buttons on the headboard in the spots you previously marked. Pull the buttons tight if you used foam under the fabric. This will give the head board an added touch of detail. Wha laaa... it's finished! Now seriously people...how easy was that??? I love it. Here is my finished product...

I feel so stinking crafty! By the way....Boots did NOT enjoy the sound of the staple gun!

No comments:

Post a Comment